Fast Facts for Bone Marrow/Stem Cell Transplants
- Once you are swabbed by a bone marrow registry, your sample is kept and there is no need to be re-swabbed.
- Greatest need in Canada is men under 35 of mixed ethnicity, particularly of African descent.
- OneMatch, managed by Canadian Blood Services is the bone marrow registry in Canada.
- One Match is a member of the World Marrow Donor Association - a worldwide organization that searches all member registries for a match.
- If you need a bone marrow transplant you have a 25% chance of finding a match in your family.
- For those without a family donor, 80% of patients find a match outside of Canada